[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #3] SE-0117: Allow distinguishing between public access and public overridability

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:54:14 CDT 2016

(Google inbox won't let me inline my comments)

Thanks for the effort on iterating and refining this proposal.

+1 on the proposal, more strongly favoring the first design.

If my brain is working correctly it seems like we could start with the
first design and if somehow problematic move to the the second model in the
future without (much?) disruption. I didn't sit down and reason it out in
much depth (watching my 2.5 year old at the moment) however so I will leave
that to others to ponder.

I think it aligns well with Swifts principles in terms of favoring external
to module API to be intentional / explicit. The latest revisions - I think
- has also sufficiently reduced the burden to module developers which is
also another important aspect of Swift.

I haven't used a language the has this exact type of feature but I have
often desired to haven his type of capability when I was authoring
libraries for others (often in company). I am a believer in being very
explicit in API contract to both confine what I have to design for/test
when authoring a library as well as having more clarity when consuming a
library.

-Shawn