[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Wed Jul 20 15:22:03 CDT 2016

What you said back then lead me to understand you did not get the
difference. Forgive me if it wasn't the case but I've also seen it
happen more than once in this list, hence the repeatition. I also
understand that there are other ways to implement the same behaviour
we want without sealed by default but I wouldn't call a lot of
boilerplate "elegant".

The examples you asked for have already been provided a few times in
this thread and the previous and trying to disqualify them won't make
them go away. And I didn't ask you to prove there is no valid use case
for this; I asked you to give a good technical reason (one that is not
"being able to fix someone elses' code") to keep it as is today, which
is different.

I'm placing my view here that by default would have to mean
non-propagating open to subclasses unless the one writing the subclass
means it too by explicitly keeping it open. To me, meaning (intention)
is the keyword here. I believe there is no need to really introduce a
new keyword for sealed but it will be necessary should open propagates
in order to allow a library extending from another library to re-seal
methods. This is inconsistent with sealed **by default** (that is,
unless stated otherwise).

The core team has already said that this is on, so I think it is a
waste of time to continue trying to disqualify the proposal
altogether. We have to focus on the issues the core team pointed out
that needed solving. Just like David, I also didn't like fileprivate
but I'm not here trying to disqualify it (how long has it been,
actually?). I also liked to know that there are other examples of
languages that follow this model of sealed by default and they work,
even though most of them are little known languages. It's a model to
work with and every language has one; we're just changing Swift's.