[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 09:35:29 CDT 2016

I was a little confused by this - I believe the previous proposal involved replacing final (and assuming it unless opened).

I do not support "sealed". -1000 from me. I would absolutely holeheartedly support "final" by default; it's not very different to turning WMO on by default - and actually since we did so, classes you don't open up or internally subclass are implicitly final already, so it fits really nicely.

I don't want there to be both "sealed by default" and "final" in the language describing the same concept; it's confusing, users won't know immediately which is the standard behaviour. I also don't agree with a "final outside module" (sealed) attribute - it's an ugly compromise because we don't want to anger subclassers, but at the same time we clearly arent convinced by their arguments. This is a cowardly concession which makes the language uglier and less easy to reason about, just so complainers will keep quiet.

If the core team believes subclassability should be explicit, make it explicit everywhere. It honestly doesn't come up too often, and when it does tacking an 'internal(open)'    isn't the hardest thing to make people do. It would make all code involving classes much easier to locally reason about - "is this class overridden? By whom? How much freedom do I have to change things? Oh, all of the subclasses are internal? That's great, change away..."

We don't have header files any more. Our source should be maximally self-documenting; not just for the compiler and optimisation potential, but for human beings too.

Karl

 Sent from my new   Email (https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id922793622?pt=814382&mt=8&ct=my_new_email)