[swift-evolution] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Jul 19 06:45:54 CDT 2016

> Am 19.07.2016 um 04:11 schrieb Jonathan Hull via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>>:
>
> Second, I would really like to see the methods match the open-ness or final-ity of their enclosing scope by default.  Note: I also feel this way about access levels, which work this way except for public… I believe they should work the same way for public too (while keeping internal as the default level for top-level structures).

afaics, I completely agree with your whole message, but this one is worth to be emphasized:
The effect of "public" should be propagated in the same way as "open"; I don't think there is any good reason to have two different models for similar concepts.

I think it would be even better to extend propagation up to module-level, and let the author decide what access levels are right for him — but that's most likely way beyond the willingness for compromise.