[swift-evolution] Seriously! Freeze Swift For Two Years After Release 3.0 !

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jul 9 17:20:22 CDT 2016

> On Jul 9, 2016, at 12:41 PM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen <tedvgiosdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> imho and after releasing Swift 3.0:
>               ===================
>
> Existing language elements should never be removed,
>    (even if they are frowned upon, which occasionally is caused
>     by aspects of subjective opinion, lack of experience and premature vague statistics, we’re human aren’t we?)
> and even if much better newer solutions are available.
>
> New language elements should be supplements, standing on their own,
> with the purpose of extending Swift, not as changes of existing code,
> thus leaving the older equivalents intact as not to break older source code.

Ted,

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the goals for Swift 3, which are described here:
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution

An excerpt:

"The primary goal of this release is to solidify and mature the Swift language and development experience. While source breaking changes to the language have been the norm for Swift 1 through 3, we would like the Swift 3.x (and Swift 4+) languages to be as source compatible with Swift 3.0 as reasonably possible.”

-Chris