[swift-evolution] [Discussion] "try" for function that does not throw

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Jul 8 04:00:30 CDT 2016

A try that isn't needed is suspicious… but imho there is a problem with warnings, but that isn't primarily caused by Swift itself.

Xcode creates warning as you type, and those often don't help, but just distract, as most of them aren't actually dangerous at all:
- Yes, I'm not using this value yet… but I promise I'll do so five lines further down
- The same with vars that are waiting for their first change
(those two are the worst for me)
Things like those don't help me at all, but are rather a distraction — but I'm no fan spoon-feeding in general, and would prefer to move most Swift-warnings out of the compiler and into a linter.

Tino