[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 11:52:20 CDT 2016

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 23:16, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Change it to "Syntax.ExpressibleByIntegerLiteral" and I'd be onboard but
> I don't think it would pass the DaveTest despite it being only 2 characters longer.[1]

Yeah, I agree with "By" instead of "As". It makes it a bit clearer that these protocols kinda work backwards, so to speak. That is, if I understand things correctly, rather than adding functionality/semantics to the conforming type, conforming to a literal protocol adds functionality/semantics to the corresponding literal "type" (which we can't directly interact with because they don't actually exist within Swift's type system).

- Dave Sweeris