[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Sat Jul 2 23:16:45 CDT 2016

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Riley Testut via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> When naming, we need to learn to stop treating the comfortable ring of
>> familiar word patterns as an arbiter of success.
>
> I’m not sure I agree with this statement. I would argue we should most certainly aim to keep a consistent feel across our naming conventions...
> Following that, “ExpressibleAsIntegerLiteral” feels extremely un-swiftyPI Guidelines, the fact that it’s the only protocol with the adjective at the beginning and not the end is a giant red flag to me (unless I’m missing some)....

Change it to "Syntax.ExpressibleByIntegerLiteral" and I'd be onboard but
I don't think it would pass the DaveTest despite it being only 2 characters longer.[1]

-- E [2]
[1] I'd probably even buy into "From" instead of "By".
[2] I keep *promising* myself to stop adding to this conversation and pull an Elsa.
My success rate at keeping this promise is, as yet, suboptimal.