[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 08:04:36 CDT 2016

evolution <at> swift.org> wrote:

> > -1 from me. I suggest to wait until we get generic protocols
> > in Swift 4, then we can use the following:
> >
> > protocol From<T> {
> >    init(_ from: T)
> > }
>
> This is extremely unlikely to happen.  Generic protocols and multiple
conformances are listed as unlikely
> in the generics manifesto.  This *exact* use case is cited as the
usual motivation for this feature and
> deemed insufficient.
>
> If you want to see generic protocols and multiple conformances I think
you're going to need to provide
> extremely compelling use cases in order for that proposal to be
considered.  And I would be surprised to see
> it make Swift 4 even if you do find sufficient motivation.

This became much more likely to happen after Brent suggested counter-
arguments and (I don't rembmer exactly, but) some core team members
didn't seem to mind.

The proposal:
https://github.com/Anton3/swift-evolution/blob/generic-
protocols/proposals/NNNN-generic-protocols.md

Brent's counterarguments:
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-
20160606/020746.html