[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Jul 2 07:53:54 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 6:11 AM, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> -1 from me. I suggest to wait until we get generic protocols
> in Swift 4, then we can use the following:
>
> protocol From<T> {
>    init(_ from: T)
> }

This is extremely unlikely to happen.  Generic protocols and multiple conformances are listed as unlikely in the generics manifesto.  This *exact* use case is cited as the usual motivation for this feature and deemed insufficient.

If you want to see generic protocols and multiple conformances I think you're going to need to provide extremely compelling use cases in order for that proposal to be considered.  And I would be surprised to see it make Swift 4 even if you do find sufficient motivation.