[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Jun 30 20:21:26 CDT 2016

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 8:12 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Thu Jun 30 2016, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com <http://matthew-at-anandabits.com/>> wrote:
>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> FAQ: "Why aren't you using the obvious phrase `stride` for something that clearly
>>> returns the memory stride?"
>>>
>>> ANSWER: "As stride already has a well-established meaning in the standard library,
>>> this proposal changes the name to spacing, providing a simple but correct name that
>>> works well enough in its intended use. Measuring memory is sufficiently esoteric
>>> that we prefer to reserve `stride` for a more common use case."
>>
>> Counter: some words have more than one well established meaning when
>> used in different contexts.  'spacing' isn't too bad here (much better
>> than 'arraySpacing') but sticking to the term of art 'stride' would be
>> best IMO.  As James mentioned, spacing implies empty space *between*
>> items whereas stride matches the meaning of this property *exactly*
>> (which is why it is the term of art).
>>
>> If a programmer can't distinguish between a 'stride' property on
>> MemoryLayout and the 'stride' function they probably have no business
>> doing anything which requires use of MemoryLayout in the first place.
>
> I don't believe that “stride” *is* the accepted term of art for this
> meaning.  I never heard of the idea of types having an intrinsic
> “stride” until I arrived on the Swift project.  That usage came from
> “strideof.”
>
> If you all swear up and down that you've been talking about “the stride
> of a type” for more than 2 years, I won't fight you on this.
> Otherwise... well, I still won't fight; I'm being crushed by an
> avalanche of bikesheds and I can't muster the energy ;->... but I'll
> forever be plagued by doubts about the name.

I was just throwing in my 2 cents and planned to leave it at that.  The primary reason I chimed in is because I didn’t find the rationale in the “answer” compelling.  This isn’t something I feel like bike shedding any further over either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stride_of_an_array

Maybe stride isn’t as common as I thought it was (if it was I’m sure you would have heard of it before Swift) but it certainly predates Swift in usage.

-Matthew