[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Jun 30 20:12:50 CDT 2016

on Thu Jun 30 2016, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad

>>> Hmm. Sounds like stride to me. stride or byteStride?
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> FAQ: "Why aren't you using the obvious phrase `stride` for something that clearly
>> returns the memory stride?"
>>
>> ANSWER: "As stride already has a well-established meaning in the standard library,
>> this proposal changes the name to spacing, providing a simple but correct name that
>> works well enough in its intended use. Measuring memory is sufficiently esoteric
>> that we prefer to reserve `stride` for a more common use case."
>
> Counter: some words have more than one well established meaning when
> used in different contexts.  'spacing' isn't too bad here (much better
> than 'arraySpacing') but sticking to the term of art 'stride' would be
> best IMO.  As James mentioned, spacing implies empty space *between*
> items whereas stride matches the meaning of this property *exactly*
> (which is why it is the term of art).
>
> If a programmer can't distinguish between a 'stride' property on
> MemoryLayout and the 'stride' function they probably have no business
> doing anything which requires use of MemoryLayout in the first place.

I don't believe that “stride” *is* the accepted term of art for this
meaning.  I never heard of the idea of types having an intrinsic
“stride” until I arrived on the Swift project.  That usage came from
“strideof.”

If you all swear up and down that you've been talking about “the stride
of a type” for more than 2 years, I won't fight you on this.
Otherwise... well, I still won't fight; I'm being crushed by an
avalanche of bikesheds and I can't muster the energy ;->... but I'll
forever be plagued by doubts about the name.

--
Dave