[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Thu Jun 30 18:59:18 CDT 2016

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 5:47 PM, James Berry <jberry at rogueorbit.com> wrote:

>>> No way to last-second sell you on interval rather than spacing?
>>
>> If you can explain why it's better.
>>
>>> // Returns the least possible interval between distinct instances of
>>> /// `T` in memory.  The result is always positive.
>>
>> For me, “interval” doesn't go with “size” and “alignment,” which are all
>> about physical distances and locations.  There are all kinds of
>> “intervals,” e.g. time intervals.
>
> Hmm. Sounds like stride to me. stride or byteStride?
>
> James

FAQ: "Why aren't you using the obvious phrase `stride` for something that clearly
returns the memory stride?"

ANSWER: "As stride already has a well-established meaning in the standard library,
this proposal changes the name to spacing, providing a simple but correct name that
works well enough in its intended use. Measuring memory is sufficiently esoteric
that we prefer to reserve `stride` for a more common use case."

-- E