[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0101: Rename sizeof and related functions to comply with API Guidelines

Russ Bishop xenadu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:40:30 CDT 2016

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I am still very skeptical that anyone needs the “Value” version, and as
> long as we're resyntaxing I am inclined to take it away and see how many
> people complain.  You can still always write it yourself.

I agree and being able to ask about the size of an instance implies things that aren’t true. Sticking “value” labels on everything doesn’t change the fact that sizeOf(swift_array) is not going to give you the size of the underlying buffer no matter how you slice it.

IMHO Sizes are for types, just drop the instance stuff. There is no point in keeping it.

Russ