[swift-evolution] [Discussion] A Problem With SE-0025?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Jun 29 16:02:47 CDT 2016

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 9:14, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I just want a name that is:
>
> - a single English language word
> - whose common meaning has something to do with privacy, access, permissions, or a similar grouping concept that the other three keywords fits into
> - and intuitively describes the intensity of the behavior relative to the other three keywords
>
> I'm not sure if this is something we want to reopen, though, or what the right process would be.
>
> Austin

At this point I would suggest that a new proposal add a synonym for 'fileprivate' in release X, with a plan to deprecate (warn on) 'fileprivate' in release X+1. X should also be greater than 3 because we're honestly still burned from the last discussion and bikeshedding, and the name would have to be significantly better than "fileprivate" to even go up for review.

We tried to come up with something good; this was the one the core team thought was the best choice. Sometimes that's how it goes (cf. "static"/"class", "associatedtype").

Jordan