[swift-evolution] [Idea] Allowing definition of custom behaviors for `as` casting

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Tue Jun 21 10:32:56 CDT 2016

What benefit would this provide that writing them as initializers already
doesn't? Writing the first two lines this way seems much clearer from a
call-site point of view:

let user1 = User(json: ["firstname": "Yaman", "lastname": "JAIOUCH"])
let user2 = User(string: "Yaman JAIOUCH")

That aside, placing the "as" methods on the destination type makes it look
to me like you're allowing casts *from* User *to* AnyObject/String and not
the other way around.