[swift-evolution] Property with class and protocol type

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:21:28 CDT 2016

I new this was going to happen... of course with enough code around you can prevent anything. But that was precisely my point: with that proposal, these rules are the only way to make sure that something as clearly wrong as my simple example cannot happen. And this is to me the worst possible way to enforce it. I don't expect you will understand why, much less agree that it is. But if you do close your eyes and picture what the code will look like to do what you pasted here versus what I suggest, I hope you can see the clear difference between the 2 solutions...

To me, this is the archetype for a bad unnecessarily complicated, difficult to implement, solution which will be a lot of work to explain to people. This solution on the other hand is mechanically simple (because of its structure), and simple to explain
https://gist.github.com/lmihalkovic/68c321ea7ffe27e553e37b794309b051

Btw, it is not the only way to do something simple, which the following is absolutely not: