[swift-evolution] [Pitch] "unavailable" members shouldn't need an impl

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Sun Jun 12 23:08:41 CDT 2016

As Andrew says - I have several cases where I mark a method on a subclass as unavailable to ensure subclasses do not call it directly, but it is required by the root class to be implemented (which it is and gets called).

Example:

class Root {
	func doSomething() {
		print("Root")

class Subclass {
	@available(*, unavailable)
	override func doSomething() {
		super.doSomething()
		print("Subclass")

And you can still do:

let instance: Root = Subclass()
instance.doSomething()

and it will call Root Subclass.

If it's renamed, you should really first deprecate it and just call the new API and after a while make it unavailable with no change in the code.

If it's meant for abstract classes, then it's kind of a different issue.