[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:13:46 CDT 2016

>> Of course not.  The only official plan of record for Swift is approved
>> proposals.  But it’s always interesting to know the opinions of the
>> core team about potential features.  Previously my impression had been
>> that the general leaning was towards skepticism that the practical
>> benefits of HKT would pay for the complexity.
>
> That's certainly a valid question.  I have been very vocally skeptical
> that HKTs like Monad belong in the standard library, but I am not
> opposed to having the language feature if it supports important use
> cases.

It is surprising to see people debating the place of monads in Swift when nobody seems to speak about the elephant in the middle of the room: the language has a real engineering defisciency if it is possible for people to think that there is no better way to use it than to do   "we have around 50+ packages. This list grows very fast" (http://docs.zewo.io - many more swift github projects are equally struggling to get the code organized).
At the moment the only thing preventing the situation from getting more out of hands is that the import mechanism currently gets in the way, but the only opinions I read so far all focussed on making it even easier to slap things together ala zewo rather than address the engineering issue.