[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Jun 11 08:12:38 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 11, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:

>> Functions and tuples are structural types, although it is probably possible to make tuples syntactic sugar for a Tuple type of we get the necessary variadic generics support.
>
> The design the variadic generics thread seems to have preliminarily settled on is based on representing variadic generics as tuples, so I imagine we would hit some issues with circularity!

I'm not sure this topic is settled at all (felt a bit more like deferred I thought).  But this may well turn out to be the case.  There is some circularity either way of course - one will probably be defined in terms of the other.

The more important point is that Swift does have structural types and even if you could define Tuple with variadic generics you still have structural function types.  So it will always have at least one structural type.