[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:53:15 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Haravikk <swift-evolution at haravikk.me>
wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2016, at 20:45, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry, but until this discussion I had never heard of a coding style
> that advocates for conservation of vertical space. There's a lot of
> argument whether 80 characters is still a relevant line length, but I've
> never heard discussion that a single long line is better than multiple
> lines as a general principle.
>

> We’re not talking about a single super long line here, my actual uses of
> for in where don’t get much longer than the examples I’ve given, besides
> which the where keyword itself does a good job of breaking up the line into
> distinct pieces. Compared to say a long line full of chained .filter and
> .map or whatever it’s very clean.
>
> At no point am I advocating shoving everything onto one line just for the
> sake of it, however, without a where clause a for in loop’s opening line
> tends to be very short so it leaves a nice chunk of extra space that’s
> ideal for a simple condition. Anything longer can, and absolutely should,
> span multiple lines in whatever form the developer prefers, no-one is
> suggesting that where clauses should remain in so we can ruin our code by
> shoving as much as possible on one line.

Here, though emotion is hardly a worthy barometer, I had quite a visceral
reaction to the example given at one point:

```
for number in fibonacci where number % 2 == 0 while number < 4_000_000 {...}
```

This, IMO, is long enough to cause a heart attack.

> Regarding some of the numbers that have come up about for in vs for in
> where loops (in my own code I’m close to maybe of 20% of my for in loops
> using it), it’s important to recognise that the use of the where clause
> isn’t well advertised. When I started out with Swift I only knew that it
> could be used on cases in a switch statement, and later that it was used
> with complicated generics. It wasn’t until I joined the mailing list that I
> found out it could be used with conditional bindings and loops, but when I
> did I started using it almost immediately.

Since it is so obscure, I think it'd be fair to say that the feature is not
fundamental to Swift's "character" or "style." In fact, I understand that
it was added only later. I could buy the argument that, if advertised
widely, people would find ways to use it more widely and perhaps even
generally correctly.

But it does show that (a) it's obscure; and (b) if it were never there,
approximately no one outside this list would miss it. However, given that
it is there, the large proportion of people who don't know of it
are nonetheless liable to *read* it, and they stand a chance of
misinterpreting its meaning on first reading. They may encounter it at any
time, since it's a part of the language itself and not domain-specific, but
they might well encounter this syntax only once in a blue moon and far into
their time using the language. Thus, the need to weigh pros and cons here I
think.

> Plus a lot of developers are coming from other languages where nothing
> like this existed, so if they don’t discover it somewhere it’s not
> surprising if they don’t use it. Also, the important figures aren’t
> actually for in versus for in where, what’s needed is a count of for in
> where versus loops that use either if/guard continue (not break) or
> .filter() (i.e- only loops that *could* use a where clause but don’t).

Right, that might be the more salient statistic.