[swift-evolution] [Accepted with Revision] SE-0099 Restructuring Condition Clauses

Roth Michaels roth at rothmichaels.us
Fri Jun 10 15:33:33 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10 2016 at 03:48:11 PM, Brandon Knope <bknope at me.com> wrote:
>     On Jun 10, 2016, at 1:47 PM, Roth Michaels via swift-evolution
>     <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>     When teaching Swift, I did discover that the requirement of 'where'
>     in
>     conditionals as expressed by this proposal was confusing and those I
>     was
>     teaching assumed they would use commas (or &&).
>

> I completely understand this, but isn’t this because they just didn’t
> know the syntax existed?

More or less; the particular developer I was thinking of did do a code
review of some of my code where he was exposed to `where` in a `switch
case` statement, but was anware of this construction in a `if|guard
let`.

> After they learned about it, did they understand it?

Yes.

> Did they like it? Hate it? That’s what I am very interested in hearing
> about

First reaction was some sort of "hmm, that's weird, but okay"; after
pointing out the similar use with `switch` pattern matching and `case
let` bindings he saw the similarity.  I think his overall opinion was
one of just accepting that is "the way it is" in Swift.

I'll try to point him to this thread to see if he has any opinions.

--
Roth