[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:45:28 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Goffredo Marocchi <panajev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If the litmus test is whether using something can go awry and can go awry
> at runtime then you are going to have to chop off a lot of parts of most
> languages. Also, some programmers do not mind not being protected from
> themselves and trade that for extra freedom... which is not a bad thing in
> and of itself

Again, I agree. What I'm arguing here is that it can go awry *and* doesn't
offer extra freedom as a trade-off (*nor* serves a pedagogical purpose,
*nor* is necessary to support a key and unique feature of Swift). I don't
buy the argument that the freedom worth gaining is the trivial freedom from
using `guard`. That's like saying: I don't like arrays, and I'd like
something to give me the "freedom" from using them.

> In the end the question is an old one indeed, where do you draw the line
> between safety and freedom... as corny as it sounds. There are people on
> both sides.

As I outlined above, I reject that there is any tradeoff here between
safety and freedom. I see no freedom gained, only safety lost. Therefore,
there doesn't need to be a defined line to come to a conclusion. It's not
even on the same playing field.

I do not want a swift compiler flag that takes my idea and gets a team of