[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:59:26 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM, let var go <letvargo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I respect that anti-goal, but I think being over-rigid about limiting
> developers' choice of expression is also an anti-goal.
>
> To me, it is like guard statements vs. if-let statements. Some people find
> one to be more clear than the other. Often times the best choice depends on
> the context. Sometimes a guard statement can be re-written as an if-let
> statement in a way that makes the code more clear, and vice versa.

The comparison with `guard` and `if` is a little inapt. The introduction of
`guard` solved a practical daily issue with `if` that was nicknamed the
pyramid of doom, where successive `if let` statements caused code to be
severely nested in braces and nearly unreadable. Further, you must exist
the scope with `guard`; thus, its use signals an intention not possible
with `if`. If, on the other hand, you do not wish to exit the scope, you
must use `if`. So in a Venn diagram, there are independent uses for `if`
that cannot be fulfilled by `guard`, and uses for `guard` that would be
unreadable if rewritten with `if`.

> And different people will inevitably have different personal preferences -
> their own "style", if you will - and will favor one over the other. But it
> would be a mistake to force everyone into one box in order to prevent the
> fracturing of the Swift community into "dialects."
>

> But most importantly (and this is really the kicker for me) there are
> times when the "where" syntax provides the maximum amount of clarity in the
> context of my code, and I don't want to lose that expressive power.

This is the key and salient point here. Would you be able to share some
examples where the `where` syntax provides a clear win in clarity? That
would definitely be a huge pro, if it can be used to solve issues in
expressiveness much like `guard` allowed elimination of the pyramid of doom.