[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

James Berry jberry at rogueorbit.com
Fri Jun 10 12:47:31 CDT 2016

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 10:17 AM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I think this idea--if you don't like it, then you don't have to use it--is indicative of a key worry here: it's inessential to the language and promotes dialects wherein certain people use it and others wherein they don't. This is an anti-goal.

I’m not sold on the argument that there can’t be areas of the language that are inessential. Yes, we could build a language with extremely limited control structures (conditional branch and goto), and they would be used by 100% of the users. Beyond that, however, everything is “inessential”. Adding room for elegance and expressiveness, even when perhaps initially seldom used, doesn’t seem wrong: this language is still young, after all. Let’s not shoot decide a feature isn’t used before we even give it a chance to be recognized as a feature.

I would argue that at least one reason the where clause is little used on for-in loops in code in the field is that it’s barely documented. I don’t see any reference to it, or example of it, in the Swift 2.2 language guide. One has to read the grammar for the for statement in the more technical Language Reference in order to find it, and even there it’s behavior is not defined that I can see.

Using or not using a feature does not create a dialect of a language.