[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Retiring `where` from for-in loops

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Fri Jun 10 11:23:33 CDT 2016

> And to follow-up to myself once again, I went to my "Cool 3rd Party Swift Repos" folder and did the same search. Among the 15 repos in that folder, a joint search returned about 650 hits on for-in (again with some false positives) and not a single for-in-while use.

Weird. My own Swift projects (not on Github :P) use “where” all the time with for loops. I really like it and think it reads *and* writes far better as well as makes for nicer one-liners. In one project, by rough count, I have about 20 that use “where” vs. 40 in that same project not using “where”.

In another smaller test project, there are only 10 for loops, but even so one still managed to use where.

Not a lot of data without looking at even more projects, I admit, but this seems to suggest that the usage of “where” is going to be very developer-dependent. Perhaps there’s some factor of prior background at work here? (I’ve done a lot of SQL in another life, for example.)

I feel like “where” is a more declarative construct and that we should be encouraging that way of thinking in general. When using it, it feels like “magic” for some reason - even though there’s nothing special about it. It feels like I’ve made the language work *for me* a little bit rather than me having to contort my solution to the will of the language. This may be highly subjective.

l8r
Sean