[swift-evolution] [DRAFT] Regularizing Where Grammar (was Re: Add a while clause to for loops)

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Thu Jun 9 16:37:50 CDT 2016

On Jun 9, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Rob Norback <rnorback at gmail.com> wrote:

> Def like this change, but Erica I'm wondering what changed your mind about the syntax since the last I read you still were concerned by the ambiguity between filtering and exiting.

My concerns remain. However, after going back and forth with Brent,
wux, and others, I think my concerns could be addressed in style guides
and linters[1]. This draft introduces a major consistency win, I get to rail
against actually using the feature when I publicly opine[2], but when
used it will be better. (I'm quite curious to see hear from someone on the
core team whether this change is practical and whether it improves parsing
or makes it harder from the compiler's point of view.)

In any case, I reserve the right to argue from several different points of
view[1, ibid] to see how well each suggestion works (and to hear the feedback
and opinions of others) before settling on anything. Until it's a pull request, it's
not fixed. And even then, I still want to listen to arguments.

-- Erica

[1] As the Italians say, "La donna è mobile <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_donna_%C3%A8_mobile>", which translates to "women are furniture." Ask an Italian.
[2] I find a `where`-less `for-in` loop with `guard` statements to read the most clearly and offer the most maintainable approach. My computation tests show that it is in the top efficiency group.
[3] Nulla nota 3.