[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Jun 9 12:26:36 CDT 2016

> [...]
>> innovative feature known as optionals. An optional may contain nil,
>> but Swift syntax forces you to safely deal with it using ? to indicate
>> to the compiler you understand the behavior and will handle it safely.
>>
>> This positioning statement makes it appear as if preventing common
>> causes of crashes falls within the meaning of safe that Swift is
>> using.  Having existentials introduce new preconditions and traps when
>> they are not met does not seem aligned with that goal IMO.
>
> Static typing “increases safety,” in the casual sense.  That doesn't
> mean that an operation that traps on a failed precondition check is
> “unsafe.”
>
>>> The user doesn't do anything “manual” to introduce that trapping
>>> behavior for integers.  Preconditions are a natural part of most types.
>>
>> The user doesn’t, but isn’t the overflow trap implemented in the
>> standard library?
>
> Whether it is or is not is an implementation detail.
>
>> Regardless, this is a specific case that has been given explicit
>> design attention by humans.  The precondition is designed, not
>> introduced by compiler rules that haven’t considered the specific case
>> in question.

>>> Of course.  As I've said, let's look at the use cases.
>>
>> Agree.  We can consider those in depth when the time comes to ramp up
>> discussion of Austin’s proposal.

>>> bind what?
>>
>> Sorry, I must have gotten distracted and not finished that paragraph.
>> I meant to say bind the associated types that are necessary for your
>> use case.  Sometimes you bind *all* of the associated types to
>> concrete types and the protocol has no `Self` requirements.  In that
>> case there is no trouble at all in conforming the type-erased
>> “existential" to the protocol itself.  Austin’s proposal would
>> eliminate the need to manually write these “existentials” manually.

>>> There is no distinction in the user model between what might be
>>> synthesized by the language and what appears on standard library types.
>>
>> Maybe I shouldn’t have made that distinction.
>>
>> The point I am trying to emphasize is that each of these are special
>> cases that have received direct human consideration.  The potential
>> for a trap is not introduced by language rules that apply to
>> user-defined constructs in without consideration of the specific
>> details of that construct.

>>> I don't accept either of those statements without seeing some analysis
>>> of the use-cases.  For example, I don't believe that AnyCollection et al
>>> are particularly crash-prone.  The likelihood that you'll use the wrong
>>> index type with a collection is very, very low.  I'm less certain of
>>> what happens with Self requirements in real cases.
>>
>> But again, I believe this is an exceptional case as the precondition
>> is explicitly stated in the semantics of the protocol.
>
> IIUC, it has been cited by Doug as the exemplar of the
> predominantly-requested case by a 10:1 ratio!

In terms of forming the existential, storing it in variables, accepting arguments of that type, etc yes.  I don’t know how many of those requests expect it to conform to the protocol and expect to be able to use it in generic code constrained to the protocol.

>> IMO the burden of proof should be on the side that proposes a
>> mechanism to introduce traps, not the side that proposes avoiding
>> them.
>
> If you really want to make this about sides and burdens, the burden of
> proof always rests with the side proposing to extend the language.  We
> shouldn't be making changes without understanding how they will play out
> in real use-cases.

I agree with this.  But if we are discussing two different options for extending the language I think the option that doesn’t introduce crashes should be preferred without pretty compelling reasons to choose the option that can introduce crashes.

>>> I don't know.  I'm saying, I don't think we understand the use-cases
>>> well enough to make a determination.
>>
>> That’s fair.  I agree that use cases should be carefully considered.

>>> Neither of these look like they actually make *use* of the fact that
>>> there's type erasure involved (and therefore should probably be written
>>> as generics?).  The interesting cases with Any<Collection...>, for the
>>> purposes of this discussion, arise when you have multiple instances of
>>> the same existential type that wrap different concrete types.
>>
>> One use case I have found is to work around the lack of higher-kinder
>> types.
>
> Really, now: a use-case for feature A that is a workaround for the lack
> of feature B hardly justifies adding feature A!  We do want to add
> higher-kinded types eventually.

Good to know.  I thought higher-kinder types were on the “maybe if someone shows a compelling enough use case” list.  AFAIK this is the first time a member of the core team has stated the intent to add them.  If that is the case I agree that this use case isn’t relevant.  The workaround isn’t great because it loses type information that is critical to the optimizer (but it’s all we have available today).

>> If you have a protocol where specific implementations will return
>> different types, but all conform to a second protocol you can define
>> the protocol in terms of a generic type-erased wrapper which conforms
>> to the second protocol and accepts type arguments that match the
>> associated types (thus binding the associated types to concrete
>> types).  I have found this to be a useful technique (granted it is a
>> workaround and I’m not sure how useful it would continue to be if
>> Swift eventually gets higher-kinder types).
>>

>>> Another problem I see: in this new world, what is the model for choosing
>>> whether to write a function as a protocol extension/generic, or as a
>>> regular function taking existential parameters?  Given that either of
>>> the above could have been written either way, we need to be able to
>>> answer that question.  When existentials don't conform to their
>>> protocols, it seems to me that the most general thing to do is use
>>> existentials whenever you can, and only resort to using generics when
>>> forced by the type system.  This does not seem like a particularly good
>>> programming model to me, but I might be convinced otherwise.
>>
>> That doesn’t seem like a particularly good programming model to me either.
>>
>> The rule of thumb I am operating with for protocols with Self or
>> associated type requirements is to prefer generics and use type
>> erasure / existentials when that isn’t possible.  For example, when
>> heterogeneity is required or when you can’t form the necessary type in
>> a protocol requirement (as in the preceding example).
>>
>> This heuristic has been working out pretty well for me thus far.
>
> I do worry a bit that people will choose the opposite heuristic.
>
> It would be somewhat reassuring to me if we could prove to ourselves
> that, using your heuristic, one is never forced to copy/paste a generic
> function implementation into a corresponding function that uses
> existentials.
>
>> The primary impact of introducing a language mechanism for generalized
>> existentials in my code would be to eliminate a lot of manual type
>> erasing boilerplate.
>
> If your code has many manual type erasing wrappers corresponding to
> protocols with associated types and/or Self requirements that also never
> have to trap type mismatches, that would certainly be instructive
> empirical data.  Would you care to share the protocols and wrappers you
> are talking about?

I put together a sample implementation of a Cocoa-like responder chain in Swift a while ago when the “Swift dynamism” debate was raging.

It isn't intended to be a Swifty design.  It is intended to be similar to Cocoa and show techniques that can be used to do things similar to Cocoa’s responder chain and targer-action in Swift.  It uses a type erased wrapper for actions that binds `Sender` while hiding the concrete `Action` type and also the `Handler` associated type.  It cannot and should not conform to the protocol it is derived from and could be replaced with the generalized existentials in Austin’s proposal.

https://gist.github.com/anandabits/ec26f67f682093cf18b170c21bcf433e <https://gist.github.com/anandabits/ec26f67f682093cf18b170c21bcf433e>

This is a good example to start with because it is related to a topic that has been hotly debated and is clearly something a lot of people want to be able to do.