[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Accepted with Revision] SE-0099 Restructuring Condition Clauses

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed Jun 8 21:27:02 CDT 2016

> Of these alternatives, the core team found the last one to be the best choice. 'case' and 'let' conditions should each specify a single declaration, comma should remain the condition separator, and the 'where' keyword can be retired from its purpose as a boolean condition introducer. Some code becomes more verbose, but in common formatting patterns, it aligns more nicely, as in:
>
> 	guard
> 	  let x = foo(),
> 	  let y = bar(),
> 	  let z = bas(),
> 	  x == y || y == z else {
> 	}
>
> and though it breaks commonality between 'let' conditions and 'let' declarations, it's more important to preserve higher-level consistency throughout the language in how components of expressions and statements are separated.

I think this is a pretty good way to split the baby, especially because it actually improves an issue which always led to awkward indentation problems.

Even with this change, I believe you'll be able to avoid redundant `case` keywords by using tuples:

	guard case (.none, .none, .none) = (foo(), bar(), bas()) else {

However, if-let does not permit the analogous construct:

	guard let (x, y, z) = (foo(), bar(), bas()) else {

Now that we're moving away from allowing compound if-lets, I think it might be a good idea to revisit that decision. Would this be better handled as a separate proposal?

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies