[swift-evolution] Add a while clause to for loops

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Wed Jun 8 16:54:17 CDT 2016

There might be value in entertaining the idea of unifying constructs such that they all allow arbitrary combinations of for/while/where/etc.

Such as:

while !stopped for unit in workToDo where unit.passesTest(condition) { unit.process() }

Which would mean something different than:

for unit in workToDo while !stopped where unit.passesTest(condition) { unit.process() }

And yes, they are very similar visually but differ subtly in meaning, but the same can be said about different sentences in english that might all share the same words and differ only by their order. It’s not exactly a foreign concept! I don’t know of any languages that are quite so expressive as that might be. Are there advantages to something more outlandish like this? I don’t know. I’m not proposing it directly, just thinking out loud, I guess.

l8r
Sean