[swift-evolution] Remove nil and NilLiteralConvertible

Pyry Jahkola pyry.jahkola at iki.fi
Wed Jun 8 16:48:13 CDT 2016

I don't see a reason to rename or remove the `nil` literal.

But I can come up with a concrete reason to deprecate NilLiteralConvertible: The language has made Optional a very specific thing with `if let` syntax, implicit wrapping, and optional chaining to name a few. But the second most common way (I guess) to create an Optional—by using the `nil` literal—isn't actually guaranteed to create an Optional.

    let condition: Bool
    let x = condition ? 1 : nil
    // error: result values in '? :' expression have mismatching types 'Int' and '_'

An expression like the above doesn't compile because the compiler can't tell what type `nil` should initialise. (Currently, at least Optional<Int> and ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional<Int> seem possible, but with NilLiteralConvertible, something like a conforming MyJSON could be as well!) This, I think, can be confusing to new users. And life would be simpler if `nil` always stood for `Optional.none`, which would then infer the associated Wrapped type respectfully.

So no, I don't support this idea but I think we should sunset NilLiteralConvertible.

— Pyry

PS. Besides, the above statement will compile with any of the following edits:

    let x = condition ? 1 : Optional.none
    let x = condition ? 1 : nil as Optional
    let x = condition ? 1 : Optional()
    let x = condition ? 1 as Optional : nil