[swift-evolution] Remove nil and NilLiteralConvertible

Roth Michaels roth at rothmichaels.us
Wed Jun 8 16:03:22 CDT 2016

So are you proposing to disallow the following:

let myStrings = ["s1": "hello, world", "s2": "something else"]
myStrings["s2"] = nil

Replacing it with the following:

let myStrings = ["s1": "hello, world", "s2": "something else"]
myStrings.removeValueForKey("s2")

Thus subscript(_) could only be used for adding or updating, but not
removing, key/value pairs.  I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Would you allow this?

let myStrings = ["s1": "hello, world", "s2": "something else"]
myStrings["s2"] = .none

If so, that would make this example strange:

enum Stuff {
  case Bone, Dome, Chrome
}

let myStuff: [String:Stuff] = ["s1": .Bone, "s2": .Dome]
myStuff["s2"] = .none
myStuff["s1"] = .Chrome

In this last example, to me it seems less clear that a dictionary index is
dropped than if nil was used.