[swift-evolution] Enhanced existential types proposal discussion

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Wed Jun 8 13:57:59 CDT 2016

on Sun Jun 05 2016, Douglas Gregor <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 5, 2016, at 6:41 PM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPad

>>> This is very much Swift 4 territory, but I can’t help myself… so…
>>>
>>> The actual feature description is spread out through this very long
>>> document, with user-facing ideas (e.g., using “anonymous associated
>>> types”) intermixed with deeper technical details (existential type
>>> equivalence), so it’s very daunting to read. Please bring the
>>> user-facing features to the front (“Proposed Solution”) with
>>> examples, and save the deeper technical details for “Detailed
>>> Design”. You want more readers to make it through the part that
>>> affects them.
>>>
>>> Shortcut 'dot' notation: If there is only one protocol with
>>> associated types specified in the requirements, and there are no
>>> nested Any<...> requirements with where clauses of their own, that
>>> protocol's name can be omitted from the whereclause constraints:
>>>
>>> // Okay
>>> // Would otherwise be Any< ~ where Collection.Element == Int>
>>> let a : Any<class, Collection, Any<Streamable, CustomStringConvertible> where .Element == Int>
>>>
>>> // NOT ALLOWED
>>> // Both Collection and OptionSetType have associated types.
>>> let b : Any<Collection, OptionSetType where .Element == Int>
>>> FWIW, I think “.Element == Int” should be the only syntax. In
>>> generic signatures, if you have two different protocols with
>>> same-named associated types, and a given type parameter (or
>>> associated type) conforms to both protocols, the associated types
>>> are (implicitly) made equivalent via an inferred same-type
>>> constraint. So there’s no reason to introduce the
>>> “Collection.Element == Int” syntax, because the “Collection” part
>>> is basically irrelevant.
>>>
>>> Once existentials have been suitably enhanced, there is a strong
>>> analogy between an existential and a generic signature with a
>>> single type parameter that you can’t name. An existential
>>> Any<Collection where .Element : Equatable> has most of the same
>>> characteristics as a generic something with the signature <T :
>>> Collection where T.Element : Equatable>. Specifically, the sections
>>> on “Existential type equivalence”, “Ordering”, “Real types to
>>> anonymous associated types”, “Anonymous associated types to real
>>> types”. could be reduced to a few small, simple examples and a
>>> mention of the analogous behavior of generics. It will be far
>>> easier to explain this way, and readers don’t need to get immersed
>>> in the details. Where there are differences vs. generics, that’s
>>> important to point out.
>>>
>>> “Associated typealias rewriting”: this also falls out of the equivalence with generics + SE-0092.
>>>
>>> “Associated types and member exposure”: you don’t make the point
>>> that it only makes sense to refer to the associated types of a let
>>> constant; a var could change its type dynamically, which would
> [...]

That does, however, speak for the idea that a concise and obvious syntax
should be supported for that use-case.

Personally, it doesn't seem ridiculous to me that some associated types
might usefully be written as type parameters on a protocol.  As
Collection shows, not all associated types are equally important.
Approximately nobody wants the existential “Collection where Index ==
Int.”

--
Dave