[swift-evolution] [proposal] Allow function argument type to be omitted when passing a default value from which it can be inferred

Sam Dods sam at theappbusiness.com
Tue Jun 7 14:08:02 CDT 2016

yes, exactly Doug... the properties at type level are part of the interface and their types can be inferred, so i don't see the difference with function argument types.

i just find it really bulky when writing something like this:

func doSomething(thing, withManager: SomethingManager = SomethingManager()) {
  // prepare the thing
}

I think this meets the API guidelines for "omitting needless words"

And it should be invalid syntax to expect the type to be inferred for a generic argument (i.e. no change from current behaviour)