[swift-evolution] [Draft] Change @noreturn to unconstructible return type

Damien Sorresso dsorresso at apple.com
Tue Jun 7 13:11:10 CDT 2016

On 7 Jun, 2016, at 09:47, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> I disagree. We are discussing how to annotate a function in some way so that the compiler knows that the code following it will never be executed *and* so a human who reads the declaration knows that it does not return. “Never" is a poor choice for that. Never what? Never return? Never use this function? Never say never again?
>
> "Never return". That's why it's in the return type slot, right after the `->`. If you read it out loud, you'll read "returns Never", which is exactly correct.

A return type makes a lot of sense linguistically but does not cover all practical cases because you might not be the one deciding what the function's signature is. For example, you might implement a protocol method that is non-optional, but you never expect to be called. The only way to indicate that to the compiler is with an attribute.
-damien