[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Tue Jun 7 09:45:53 CDT 2016

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 12:22 AM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Sun Jun 05 2016, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com <http://matthew-at-anandabits.com/>> wrote:
>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> As far as I know there is no known way to make protocols with Self
>>> requirements usefully “existentiable,” or whatever you want to call it.
>>> So unless I'm missing something, in this respect, the limitation is not
>>> temporary at all.
>>
>> Take a look at the Equatable example in the opening existentials
>> section of Doug's manifesto:
>> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160229/011666.html
>
> Yes, note that I said *usefully* “existential.”

Fair enough.  But note that I was only talking about the inability to form and open such an existential which appears likely to be a temporary limitation given the generics manifesto (of course things could change).

>  While we can of
> course downcast in this way, you have to handle the failure case and
> it's not like you can use this to make a heterogeneous Set<Hashable>.
> AFAICT, this is not at all like what happens with associated types,
> where Collection<Element: Int> has obvious uses.

We can’t use this to form Set<Hashable> because existentials don’t conform to the protocol.  I know there is complexity in implementing this and it is not possible to synthesize conformance of the existential for all protocols, but AFAIK it isn’t a settled point that we won’t try to improve the situation in some way.  Maybe we can make progress here somehow.

In the meantime, we can make a simple wrapper type to provide the required conformance and make a Set<HashableWrapper> that allows us to put Hashable into a Set.  This isn’t ideal but it is a lot less boilerplate than is involved in manual type erasure today where you need to define a struct, base class, and wrapper class.  I’d say that’s a win even if we’d like to do better in the future.

struct HashableWrapper: Hashable {
    var value: Hashable
    public var hashValue: Int { return base.hashValue }
}

public func ==(lhs: HashableWrapper, res: HashableWrapper) -> Bool {
    if let lhsValue = lhs.value openas T {     // T is a the type of lhsValue, a copy of the value stored in lhs
        if let rhsValue = rhs.value as? T {      // is res also a T?
            // okay: lhsValue and rhsValue are both of type T, which we know is Equatable
            if lhsValue == rhsValue {
                return true
    return false
}

(We could also do this with a generic Wrapper<T> and conditional conformance in an `extension Wrapper: Hashable where T == Hashable` if we don’t want a bunch of wrapper types laying around)

-Matthew