[swift-evolution] [Rejected] SE-0097: Normalizing naming for "negative" attributes

Jacob Bandes-Storch jtbandes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:29:50 CDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 9:28 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On imported Objective-C API, the core team did a quick study of the Cocoa
>> APIs and found that most closure/block parameters are escaping in
>> practice.  As such, the core team feels that it isn’t overly burdensome to
>> ask that imported Objective-C APIs annotate their semantically noescape
>> block parameters with the clang __attribute__((noescape)) attribute.
>>

> This part is what I proposed last year; still waiting on an update:
>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0012-add-noescape-to-public-library-api.md
>

> The problem with that proposal, and the reason it is sitting around in
> limbo is:
>
> 1) it is prescriptive of a process “Audit system C/Objective-C
> libraries...", not a proposal for a set of specific changes.
>
> 2) swift-evolution isn’t the right place to propose changes for Foundation
> or other APIs outside of the standard library.
>
> It has been stuck in a crack for a long time, and has no hope of getting
> unstuck.  I think that at this point the right thing is to close it.  Is
> that ok with you?
>
> -Chris

Okay, but is there any other way the community can have input on the set of
functions/methods that should be updated, and some visibility into
whether/when this will happen? It was my impression that Philippe was
making progress on this, but I hadn't heard any more for a while. (My
concern would be APIs getting missed due to lack of community input.)