[swift-evolution] [Rejected] SE-0097: Normalizing naming for "negative" attributes

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jun 2 00:25:12 CDT 2016

On Jun 1, 2016, at 9:28 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On imported Objective-C API, the core team did a quick study of the Cocoa APIs and found that most closure/block parameters are escaping in practice.  As such, the core team feels that it isn’t overly burdensome to ask that imported Objective-C APIs annotate their semantically noescape block parameters with the clang __attribute__((noescape)) attribute.
>
> This part is what I proposed last year; still waiting on an update:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0012-add-noescape-to-public-library-api.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0012-add-noescape-to-public-library-api.md>

The problem with that proposal, and the reason it is sitting around in limbo is:

1) it is prescriptive of a process “Audit system C/Objective-C libraries...", not a proposal for a set of specific changes.

2) swift-evolution isn’t the right place to propose changes for Foundation or other APIs outside of the standard library.

It has been stuck in a crack for a long time, and has no hope of getting unstuck.  I think that at this point the right thing is to close it.  Is that ok with you?

-Chris