[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Protected Access Level

Pyry Jahkola pyry.jahkola at iki.fi
Mon May 30 01:09:21 CDT 2016

That's a cool hack! For a lighter way to distinguish overridable methods that one shouldn't ordinarily call, did anyone consider approximating "protected" (or as called in Objective-C speak, "private extension") methods with public class methods?

    public class UIView {
        public class func _layoutSubviews(_ view: UIView)
    }

This way, they become overridable, won't show up in the editor auto completion list for a given instance, and can be called… but definitely make you think twice before you do!

— Pyry