[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Enums with static stored properties for each case

Jānis Kiršteins janis.kirsteins at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:54:38 CDT 2016

> - Abusing rawValue is just that: an abuse.

My original proposal does not replace rawValue and is compatible with it.

> - Using `where` just doesn't match the use of `where` elsewhere in the language; everywhere else, it's some kind of condition.

It is also used in generic type constraints. Plus it reads like human
language: `case mercury where (mass: 3.303e+23, radius: 2.4397e6)`

> - Dictionaries are the most straightforward way to handle this with the current language, but their lack of exhaustiveness checking is a problem.

Dictionaries can be used as workaround, but they cannot (lack of
exhaustiveness) solve the problem.

> What I would do is borrow the "accessors" concept from the property behaviors proposal and extend it so that it supported both functions and variables.

Wouldn't accessor just be a redundant keyword here? Currently enums do
not support stored properties, so I guess there is no extra need to
mark properties with any special keyword.

Property accessors might work for enums with associated values, but
not so well without them.