[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Property reflection

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:17:20 CDT 2016

Thank you! If you have other ideas I'd love to hear them, even if they're
completely different. I think this is a topic that deserves to 'simmer' for
a while.

You bring up an important point: should reflection be opt-in or opt-out?
I've seen arguments for both options, and I think it's definitely a point
that needs to be very carefully discussed. Importantly, opt-out makes this
a sort-of-zero cost abstraction; only types that need the functionality
take the performance and metadata size hit. This is something that the core
team seems to find important.

If it is opt-in, though, there are certainly a bunch of framework base
types that should be opted-in, so that all their subclasses can be
reflected upon, providing most of the practical benefits of default opt-in.
Giving UIView and NSView this functionality would be a starting point, and
*maybe* NSObject (although that would have effects upon all of Swift
Foundation).

Best,
Austin