[swift-evolution] Winding down the Swift 3 release

Jeremy Pereira jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com
Mon May 23 04:17:59 CDT 2016

> On 19 May 2016, at 10:47, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:
>
>> Is completing the generic system fundamental or not? I’d say it is vastly more fundamental than removing C style for loops, wouldn’t you?
>
> Oh, come on. Removing the C-style for loop is not what took up time in this release cycle. What took up time is the API guidelines, the new collection model, and other standard library quality work—things which, in hindsight, are prerequisites for binary compatibility anyway, because linking against a different version doesn't count for much when all the names and calls have changed anyway.

It is one of many things that have been done instead of concentrating on the goals as originally stated, five of which will not be met.

The collection model, API guidelines and standard library are actually irrelevant to the ABI. The standard library API and the Swift ABI are distinct orthogonal concepts.