[swift-evolution] RFC: didset and willset

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:40:39 CDT 2016

Yes, I don’t think they are the same as keywords, and should stay camelCase. Especially if you can define your own with behaviours — it will feel like you are defining your own keywords, which is wrong.

userDefined
languagedefined

I’d much prefer to just stay with willSet and didSet. Let’s see what behaviours turn out to be, and design some pinned down rules then.

As Erica said in her post about Swift 3, "Make big breaking changes later and once rather than sooner and multiple times.”
http://ericasadun.com/2016/05/18/if-i-had-my-druthers-swift-2-2-swift-3-0-abis-etc/

Chris said "In practice, we can accept both spellings for a long time at no harm to anyone.”, so hopefully as proposed Swift 3 would support both willSet/didSet & willset/didset anyway. So this is a pointless addition with wishes for consistency that won’t be known until property behaviours.

The other proposals for dynamicType etc sound fine to me.