[swift-evolution] [Accepted with Revision] SE-0088: Modernize libdispatch for Swift 3 naming conventions

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu May 19 23:49:00 CDT 2016

> On May 19, 2016, at 9:02 PM, Patrick Smith <pgwsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great stuff! Truly is a massive improvement to an already venerable API.
>
> Was there any consideration to make this a new module ‘Dispatch’, and drop all the Dispatch- prefixes? Or rather, what is the reason for keeping the prefixes? (Group could become WorkGroup to lessen naming conflicts)

We discussed it briefly, but Swift currently lacks a developed model for submodules, and tackling it should only be done with a holistic design.  If/when we introduce them and adapt dispatch to use them, we believe that we can do so without massive impact to users code (we can phase it in over time).

-Chris