[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Rename protocol<> to Any<>

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Thu May 19 00:52:19 CDT 2016

> Swift 3.0 focuses on making breaking changes that prepare the way for features to be introduced in future releases. In that spirit, I would like to solicit feedback on a very simple proposal: renaming 'protocol<>' to 'Any<>', as described in the 'Completing Generics' manifesto.
>
> The proposal can be found here: https://github.com/austinzheng/swift-evolution/blob/az-protocol-to-any/proposals/XXXX-any-as-existential.md

One small thing:

> Any<> should be typealiased to Any.

I'm not sure if it's better to specify that this should be a typealias, or simply that `Any` without angle brackets is equivalent to `Any<>`. I worry a little about whether Swift might have trouble parsing `Any<Foo>` if there's an `Any` typealias lying around.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies