[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Rename protocol<> to Any<>

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Thu May 19 00:51:36 CDT 2016

I’m a fan (mostly because I think it helps existential types, which have blocked quite a few library projects of mine), but I do have a few questions about the impact of the proposal

- I assume ‘Any' is still valid?
- In that case, would 'Any<>' be equivalent to ‘Any’, or a warning/error?
- What about 'Any<Any>' and such combinations?
- Does Any eventually become a keyword to deal with these sorts of special cases, the unbounded generic parameters, as well as future existential type uses (such as including a ‘where’ clause)?

-DW