[swift-evolution] RFC: didset and willset

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed May 18 16:02:54 CDT 2016

> On May 18, 2016, at 3:55 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> I may be wrong but I don't remember any other case of a keyword in
>> Swift composed of two or more words, so I believe these should be
>> exceptions.
>
> `typealias` and `associatedtype` are the main examples; there were huge catfights on swift-evolution about whether the latter should be `associatedtype`, `associatedType`, or `associated_type`. There are also a number of attributes like `@noescape` and `@discardableResult`, which aren't 100% consistent.

Yeah, some of these changes which may feel like low hanging fruit to some turn out to take a lot of energy.

If we’re going to pursue more of these kinds of changes, I would prefer a comprehensive proposal that evaluates everything, establishes well defined conventions, and then applies the changes holistically.