[swift-evolution] Union instead of Optional

frogcjn at 163.com frogcjn at 163.com
Sun May 15 04:55:43 CDT 2016

Optional should be implement by union concept s instead of using generic.

Enum cannot be easily used to represent many types until you name all of them.

Both generic and enum solution cannot build a strong relation between optional type and its original type, for example, an Integer type has no reparation with Optional<Int>, until the compiler make a special case for Optional<T> to automatically unwrap or wrap for this.