[swift-evolution] "AnyValue", "protocol MyProtocol : value" as counterpart to "AnyObject", ": class"

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sun May 15 02:18:06 CDT 2016

Might have a look at this thread, where value semantics is been discussed already: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160502/016286.html (Should we rename "class" when referring to	protocol conformance?)

I’m also proposing for a `Type` merging mechanism with the potential to replace `protocol<>` called `type<>` aka. `all<>` aka. `All<>` (and in some point the core team names a portion of it `Any<>` in their docs: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md).

My proposal thread is here: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160502/016523.html ([Pitch] merge types and protocols back together with type<Type, Protocol, …>)

If you want to read my detailed design, take a look at this WIP draft: https://github.com/DevAndArtist/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/nnnn-merging-types-with-protocols.md
I will rewrite a few things when I find some time to match a few things from the GenericsManifesto.

Anyways may I sum a few of my thoughts up for you:

- from the GenericsManifesto we “might“ see something like “Generalized `class` constraints“ in Swifts future: `typealias AnyObject = protocol<class>`

- if my proposal will be accepted and `class` is generalized already we’ll have something like this: `typealias AnyObject = All<class>`
        * `All<>` will create a type from all constraints inside the angle brackets, this will create a new `Type` like `All<UIView, SomeProtocol>` where `SomeProtocol` sits on the .dynamicType rather than on `UIView`
        * this will solve this problem https://openradar.appspot.com/20990743
        * future flattened version of `All<>` might have operators and could be expressed like this: `func foo(value: UIView & SomeProtocol)`

- there are two future directions in my proposal:
       (1) `Any<>` which takes only one type from the angle brackets: `Any<String, Int>` or `String | Int`
       (2) if we already have a generalized `class` keyword, so why we don’t get `struct` and `enum` as well?

With this we can create a typealias for `AnyValue` like this (at least for generalized extendable types):
       `typealias AnyStruct = All<struct>`
       `typealias AnyEnum = All<enum>`
       `typealias AnyValue = Any<All<struct>, All<enum>>`
       `typealias AnyValue = AnyStruct | AnyEnum`

But again I have to rewrite a lot of things in my proposal towards this direction. ;)

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail