[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0041: Updating Protocol Naming Conventions for Conversions

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Sat May 14 11:44:37 CDT 2016

> On May 14, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Daniel Steinberg via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I appreciate your rework on this - I still don’t understand one thing and disagree with a second:
>
> (1) I don’t understand what the word “Custom” adds to CustomStringRepresentable and CustomDebugStringRepresentable and would drop that prefix (even if it remains Convertible).

We did not introduce "Custom". That is sourced from the Swift core team. Reevaluating that name would have to fall under the umbrella of a separate proposal. Our focus is keyword conventions.

> (2) The use case for these two still stands out from every other protocol on the list. The intent is (was) better captured by “Describable”. i.e. these are things for which there is a description. I think it is more descriptive to name them Describable and DebugDescribable.

It is a representation suitable for printing or debug printing. We included them because they are a part of the existing art in the standard library.

-- E